From 1929 and during the 1930’s the company bulked up their local clientele in the Stroud and Gloucester area and of particular note, a business relationship that existed until recently with T.Butt & Son Ltd.
The War years were spent with contracts for the flat bed lorries to carry parts for the Air Ministry, with half the fleet working on aerodrome construction in Devon and North Cornwall. In fact before the War they had been running to places like Hullavington, Boscombe Down and the Moreton Valence aerodrome works at Gloucester.
After the war they delivered some 260,000 tons of gravel from Frampton to the Brabizon runway at Filton. Other projects followed later on various sections of the M4, M50 and M5 motorway between Worcester and Bristol. They also supplied and delivered aggregates for the Eagle Star building in Cheltenham whereas the haulage side of the business transported for British Steel in South Wales from 1963 until 2002 and is now involved with other work. The company is now involved in other work for local companies and do return loads.
Cullimore’s currently employ nearly 100 staff. They have progressively right-sized their operational capabilities to match their perceptions of what their main customer catchment areas will be able to support in coming years. This is based upon knowledge acquired and continually honed over 90 years. Their knowledge and understanding of their customer base is second to none.
Family-based companies traditionally engender both enthusiasm and loyalty among their staff. Cullimore’s is no exception to this rule; they are blessed with those qualities in large number. The Company is proud that in a number of cases successive generations of families have elected to join their workforce. The amount of professional expertise and local knowledge among the staff is remarkable for a Family Company of their size.